Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ciudad de Mexico


Last week I had a business trip to Mexico City. Even though I've traveled all around Latin America and I'd been there before, that place still scares me. 25 million people live in the distrito federal...the place is jungle. One day I was taking a cab back to my hotel from a meeting. We came to a street that was blocked off by the police and the taxi driver says to me: "Well, the street is blocked, you'll have to walk from here." To which I reply: "Are you kidding? I don't even know where I am!!" He assured me my hotel was only a few blocks away...

Having grown up in Southern California, I LOVE Mexican food. With all due respect to my Chilean friends...your food is bland and boring. I ate at some awesome restaurants in Mexico. But the best meals by far are the ones you eat off the street...fast food, mexican style


This is the little taco stand on the corner near my hotel...
5 tacos al carbon for a little over 2 bucks

This is the gigantic rotating mound of meats. I have no idea what they call this in Spanish, but it is basically meat on a stick. It has bacon, beef, chicken, and who knows what other animals on there. How did they get all that meat on that stick? I don't want to know. I just want to savor the flavor


This guy is an artist. He shaves that meat off there and puts it on a fresh corn tortilla with some cilantro, onion and bit of pineapple. Top that with salsa...MONEY!!

1 comment:

Munson Family said...

Taco's the magic word, I love taco's jealous in Idaho.You sure are taking awhile to blog.You must be busy or something!