Saturday, July 26, 2008

Machu Picchu - Dec 2007















Last December we took a family trip to Peru to Cusco and Machu Picchu. I have always wanted to go there, but I never imagined going there with 3 small children in tow. We were a little apprehensive about taking the kids for safety reasons and because of the high altitude, but we didn't have any problems.

It was truly an awesome experience. Peru is a beautiful country with great people. Although there are lots of gringos around Machu Picchu / Aguas Calientes, there are very few children, especially small children. The locals went crazy over our blonde, blue-eyed kids. Everybody was rubbing their heads and saying things like: "Ay, que lindos ninos!" In the Lima airport we were sitting eating in a food court when some Peruvian dude came over and asked me if he could take a picture of my family. I said yes, and he proceeded to take a picture of each of my kids with his camera phone. Then, just for good measure, he also took one of Tiffany. He wasn't interested in MY photo... Hopefully our faces don't end up on some strange, perverse website.










Machu Picchu itself was the highlight for everybody. I've been to other ancient Maya/Aztec ruins in Mexico, Honduras and Guatemala, but nothing compares to the Incan Ruins at MP. It is amazing how they constructed that city in such an isolated place. After taking the whole family to the ruins on day one, we overnighted in Aguas Calientes. The next day I went back to the ruins solo and climbed up to the top of Wayna Picchu, which is the mountain you always see in the background of any MP landscape. It was a rigorous but rewarding hike. I proved to myself once again that I am not as out of shape as I think I am. I got to the top in about 25 minutes, wearing only my Crocs (thanks mom & dad for the Crocs - they rock).



The girls posing with some Peruvian girls...culture contrast. Those are lambs the Peruvian girls are holding

the city of Cusco
Me carrying 'the Jake'...like his personal sherpa


No comments: